Big exciting news today – and it wasn’t just that we saw Caroline from The Beechgrove Garden at our local plant nursery.
We told you a few posts back that we had plans this year to lift the chuckies from the back garden and create new flower beds; well today we finished doing just that.
There were four beds in the back garden, one long one against the side fence and three smaller ones along the house. We’ve lifted the chuckies from all of them, dug them over a couple of times and added chicken pellets to fertilise the soil (as we had no way of knowing just how many nutrients may or may not have been available).
Today we finished that off by re-homing some of our existing flowers and by adding a few new ones.
Just to remind you – this is what the garden looked like when we moved in last year, although without the pots, those were our interim solution.
Bed 1 – along the fence at the side of the house – on the right of the photo.
It is the biggest bed in the back garden and was a huge rectangle of red chuckie stones. Bland and boring.
To liven it up when we moved in, we put a selection of pots with colourful flowers in along that fence to try to make it look a little cheerier. Well today we actually planted the flowers into the bed and it looks stunning.
There are a selection of different plants in there, some of the Primula and Primroses which we planted into the pots last year, but we also added Japonica, Euonymus, Irises, Hyacinths, and some new Primula and Primroses to pad things out. We’ll probably add new things as they come into season and of course for next year – Tulips and Crocuses are a must.
I think you’ll agree, it looks soooo much better now with that blast of colour. It’s still quite spacious but it will fill out over time.
Bed 2 – Little teeny, tiny bed on the right of the patio doors.
Just a few of the usual suspects to brighten it up, this bed doesn’t get a whole lot of light so we are going to see how it goes with things and it looks good, we may move the Azalea into that space as it’s a bit sad in a pot just now.
Bed 3 and 4 – the left hand side of the patio doors and left hand side after the kitchen door
Here we had some fun and added some heather which really brightens things up and has the added bonus that I can use the flowers to make beer a few years down the line once the plants are more established.
I’m really happy with the result, the garden just looks a million times better and now I can’t wait to do the same job at the front of the house and create another beautiful bed of flowers.
To give you a taster, here is the front of the house as we moved in last year…
More red chuckies to lift and replace with flowers… watch this space…